A beautiful Art Deco necklace in the Egyptian Revival style, made in Gablonz, Czechoslovakia in the early to mid 1920s. This piece was made by the Neiger brothers and was produced in response to the craze for all things Egyptian that followed the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamen in 1922. It is made of opaque turquoise glass beads with gold highlighting, interspersed with clear glass faceted beads. In the middle is a large moulded glass bead in the form of a Pharaoh's head.
Max and Norbert Neiger were in production in Gablonz between about 1905 and 1938. Norbert ran the business, while Max designed the majority of their products. The peak of their success occured in the 1920s/30s. The family were Jewish and tragically both brothers and their family died during the Holocaust.